The guidelines are simple. Design and develop an original, 5-minute playable online game using the HeroEngine.
Create a video of your game and submit it to us by February 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM EST to firstname.lastname@example.org and be entered for a chance to showcase your game at GDC this year, along with up to 5 passes to GDC and either a hotel room for the duration of the expo or $500 if you can’t make it to the show.
Your game can be as simple or complicated as you’d like. Ultimately, we’re looking for fun, innovative and original games– so don’t hold back! Throw together anything you want, just make it fun! White boxes, stick figures and everything in between counts.
Check out the details below to learn how to compete.
To talk about the challenge, visit the official HeroEngine forum post thread.
How to Submit
1. Game Video. Create a video of your game and upload it to the video service website of your choice. Then cut and paste the website link and send it to email@example.com.
2. Game Synopsis: Create a game synopsis that includes:
- Game title. Make it original and memorable (30 characters max)
- Game description. Tell us about your game in 10,000 characters or less. English only, please.
- Up to 3 screenshots. Capture the action and unique style of your game as accurately as possible, showing only finished artwork and graphics. JPEGs only, 2MB max each.
Your game can have no more than 5 minutes of playtime. Don’t send us your entire MMO and tell us to only play for 5 minutes, this contest is for games designed around the concept of a 5 minute game.
Your game must be created and built using the HeroEngine.
You may draw on concepts that you have thought about or worked on before. Make sure you have the legal right to use anything in your game — don’t recreate Pacman!
Entrants can be individuals or part of a larger team. There are no restrictions on team size. Entrants must be 13 years of age or older.
Click here for official contest rules.
Prize for Winning Entry
- Winning Game will be showcased at GDC at our HeroEngine booth
- Up to 5 passes will be given to the winning team to come join us at GDC and mingle with press
- A hotel room for 3 nights for the duration of the GDC expo OR $500 if you can’t make it to the show
- Winning game will be promoted on our site
Games will be judged according to originality, creativity and playability. Winners will be contacted via e-mail and announced on or around February 13, 2011.
How This Came About
As part of our mission to break all the barriers to online creative game development, we are strong supporters of the independent games movement and aspire to create opportunities for game developers to showcase their skills, and launch their games and careers to the next level.